Monitoring and Evaluation of the project Rijeka 2020 – European Capital of Culture (ECoC) is being implemented in the time span of three and a half years, beginning in February 2019. Rijeka is the first title bearer under the new rules and regulation that include mandatory monitoring and impact evaluation introduced as a result of the recent changes to the concept of European Capital of Culture programme implementation. This new obligation to evaluate the European Capitals of Culture is projected to positively influence future knowledge sharing among cities as more consistent data will be made available. The intention is to allow for a better comparability among the ECoC cities. The benefits of evaluation will be experienced by cities that bear the title, but also other cities across Europe that wish to learn from experience. Precisely because of that, the endeavour of monitoring and evaluation shall allow for better representation of approach to successfully implement monitoring and evaluation process.
Key objectives of the Monitoring and Evaluation project are the following:
- Offer empirical evidence with the aim to support the conceptualization of implementation of Rijeka 2020 – ECoC project, in order to achieve purpose and objectives of the ECoC initiative;
- To ensure empirical background for the evaluation of various impacts of Rijeka 2020 – ECoC project;
- To ensure empirical background for the evaluation of importance of the cultural projects;
- To ensure empirical data for demonstrating the value of the Rijeka 2020 – ECoC project to different stakeholders;
- Through analyses and empirical background on the array of impacts cultural projects exert, the aim is to increase the opportunities for funding from new and additional sources;
- To offer stimulation, to ensure open data and knowledge transmission for future research in the field of culture.
The monitoring and evaluation are divided in six groups of activities, through which five goals will be achieved. The goals of monitoring and evaluation are the following:
- To ensure the basis and evidences for the decision-making of the RIJEKA2020 Ltd. through recommendations for how to attain objectives of the ECoC;
- To create a database of results and impacts of the Rijeka 2020 – ECoC project which were generated before the year when Rijeka became the bearer of the title, and which shall be used as a basis for impact evaluation in year 2020;
- To develop and integrative concept of research in order to successfully evaluate, measure and analyse economic, environmental, social, cultural results and impacts of the project Rijeka 2020 – ECoC in the title year;
To create data base of results and impact of the project in the year after the the city takes over the ECoC title.